Sunday 1 June 2008

A day in Stornoway

When I was a child, I remember hearing Stornoway mentioned on the radio (or wireless as my Mum called it...)on the Shipping forecast and thinking that it sounded so far away and mysterious. Who would have thought that we would end up living a 20 minute drive away!

Our glorious weather continues. Here are some pictures from a day out with my daughter last week. We started off having coffee at the Woodlands Centre. This is such a pretty place, with a lovely indoor and outdoor eatery and many lovely crafts on sale. It is also where local bands and singers often play. These giant Lewis Chessmen greet you as you enter the Car Park. (I'll tell you more about the Lewis Chessmen in another post).
Here's the Queen...
...and her King.
Then we headed into Stornoway to do some shopping. We must have one of the best sites for a Car Park in the UK! We often see seals in the harbour - begging for scraps from the fishing boats!

Lews Castle was looking particularly splendid in the sunshine.
And just over the road from the Car Park, here are some of our shops - all with a lovely view of the fishing harbour.

Time to go shopping!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

I love the picture of the shops! It's a shame they're always in shade but the photo captures how lovely the town is in sunshine.

willow said...

Hi, I've just found your blog and your photographs are beautiful. I love islands but have never visited the Outer Hebrides. I have spent holidays in Shetland and there is a croft house restored very similar to the black house you describe in a previous post. There was a peat fire when we looked round and it seemed so homely. I think life was harder then but simpler and slower.